One of the most common questions we get from people who are looking to repair their credit is: “Do I really need a credit repair agency?” The answer isn’t always a simple one. While it’s true that you can write letters and file complaints on your own, the truth is that many people don’t have the ability to keep up with the demand.
In order to effectively repair your own credit without a credit repair agency, you have to be able to write effective dispute letters, and you have to be willing to keep up with stringent deadlines and tracking to confirm that the credit bureaus and your creditors are working within the law.
Why You Need a Credit Repair Agency
Most people have daily lives to attend to – work, school, kids, outside obligations – and it’s all too easy to let a deadline slip past. Once that happens, you’re stuck with the whims of your creditors and the debt collectors, who certainly don’t have your best interests at heart.
A credit repair agency makes the process more efficient and effective by:
- Managing the entire dispute process across all debts and collections
- Keeping track of deadlines, mailings, and correspondence for all creditors
- Providing a simple means for you to track the progress of your credit repair
- Preventing bill collectors and creditors from harassing you about the debt
If you have multiple delinquent accounts, are dealing with continual harassment from collection agencies that do not respect your requests to stop contacting you, or are just plain confused about the process, a credit repair agency is the ideal solution to the problem.
DIY vs. Credit Repair Agency
What a Credit Repair Agency Can Offer You
The bottom line is that credit repair takes time, effort and discipline to stay on top of all the requirements. A credit repair agency can help you with that by keeping track of everything so that you don’t have to.
If you are one of those people that are already paying for services like credit monitoring and identity protection, adding a credit repair agency to the mix can make improving your credit score that much easier.
In the end, it all comes down to how much your time is worth, and how much time you can afford to put into repairing your credit on your own. One important thing to consider – you will still be required to provide some information, even if you do have a credit repair agency working for you, so you will need to keep careful records so that all relevant information gets to the credit repair agency that is helping you.
Credit Repair Agency: Tips to Get the Most out of Your Investment
If you’ve decided to go with a credit repair agency, there are a few things you can do to make the investment pay off even more. Here are our tips for making the most use out of the assistance a credit repair agency provides:
- Ask Questions – Credit repair agencies are staffed by credit experts, but that doesn’t mean you have to stay in the dark about their processes. Find out exactly how they plan to handle your current credit problems and what they recommend if the problem should reoccur in the future.
- Take Advantage of Supplementary Services– Some credit repair companies will advise you on more than just disputes and removing negative information. If you choose one of these companies, make sure you take advantage of all the services to which you are entitled. Get advice on how to build up new lines of credit, monitor your credit scores, etc. Not taking advantage of every service that’s offered is leaving money on the table.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Switch Services – Most ongoing credit repair services charge month-to-month, so if you aren’t satisfied with the results you’re getting, you can often switch to a new service without much hassle. The important thing is to make sure you are getting your money’s worth from the company or attorney that handles your credit repair issues.
The most important thing to remember with any credit repair agency is that you are still in charge – you don’t have to be “hands off” even if you do hire a credit repair agency to help you get your scores up. Once you’ve chosen a reputable credit repair agency, continue to monitor and make sure that your credit is improving and that your scores are going up. It is your credit and you need to take action and ensure that your credit problems are being handled quickly and professionally.